Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Square Meatballs

I made meatball sandwiches yesterday and while I was shopping for the ingredients I had a culinary light bulb go off over my head. I think meatball sandwiches are messy because of the shape of the meat. It's also hard to melt cheese on a round meatball. For the sandwiches I wanted small soft dinner rolls sold at our local bakery. They are the perfect slider size buns.

My solution? Make the meatballs and press them with a glass. Now they fit on the bun, the cheese stays put, and they are easier to eat. The cooking method and taste is all meatball but the shape is a fat slider. There is not a bite left, so I'm considering my square meatballs a success.
Square Meatball Sandwiches

Meatball ingredients
1lb ground round
1lb ground pork
2 cloves garlic, use garlic press or very finely minced
1 egg
1t pepper
1 ½ t salt
½ t red pepper flakes
¾ Italian bread crumbs
½ cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup marinara sauce

1 jar marinara sauce
Sliced provolone cheese
Dinner rolls

Combine all meatball ingredients in bowl and mix by hand. Heat 2 Tb olive oil in large skillet on medium high heat. Roll meat mixture into plum sized meatballs. Place meatballs in skillet and press gently with bottom of glass to create thick patty. Brown both sides of patty and place in baking dish. Coat meatballs with marinara sauce and cover dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees til completely cooked thru, approximately 45 minutes. Slice rolls, place provolone cheese on roll, and place in broiler til cheese is melted. Add a meatsquare and enjoy.


Don't forget to order your Cookies for Santa and Chocolate Covered Pretzel Treats in time for Christmas. Order from my blog subscribers get a little something special in their order!

4 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I'm a huge fan of meatball sandwiches, so I'll have to give this a try next time I make some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These burgers look so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious - moist and jam packed with flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family would love these. I'm bookmarking this to try soon. So glad to meet you here and looking forward to reading through your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

What's the buzz?