Thursday, August 19, 2010

Farmer's Market Peppers

On Saturday I went to our local Farmers Market. A basket of peppers caught my eye because of the beautiful colors. I bought the basket of peppers for $3. The basket contained a green pepper, a few jalapenos, a couple yellow bell peppers and three purple bell peppers. The farmer at the booth told me to be careful because she threw in a couple of dragon peppers which are extremely spicy.

Farmers Market Stuffed Peppers

My peppers were not large enough to stuff so I sliced the peppers and layered them in the dish with the meat mixture.

Variety of bell peppers
1lb ground sirloin
3 cups cooked rice
15oz tomato sauce
Salt/pepper
Brown ground meat seasoned with salt and pepper in skillet.
Stir in tomato sauce.
Stir in cooked rice.
Season with salt and pepper again to taste.


Remove seeds and ribs from peppers.
Slice peppers into rings.
Layer meat mixture and peppers into casserole dish until full.


Bake casserole at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.



In my basket of market peppers, the farmer was kind enough to add two dragon peppers. She warned me that they were very spicy and to be sure to wash my hands after handling them. It’s painful to touch your eyes after handling hot peppers.
I’m going to place the dragon peppers in a decanter of olive oil to infuse the flavors and make spicy oil. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Be sure to visit your local Farmers Market. We had a great morning walking around looking at all the booths and had a great breakfast taco too.

10 comments:

  1. What a bargain for varieties of peppers, lovely colors and combination. One of favorite dish to make is like this a one pot meal, this looks delicious. Thank you for sharing.
    And also thank you for visiting my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool! i've never seen these kind of peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love farmer's markets? These pepper are such lovely colors and I'm sure the flavor was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love our local Farmers market too! The peppers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful variety of peppers! I love going to the farmers' market too. My mother used to make wonderful stuffed peppers but sadly, my hubby isn't a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I LOVE stuffed peppers! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those peppers look awesome! I've never seen purple peppers. I suppose Peter Piper could've picked 'em though. Good call layering everything. It looks great. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I can't wait to hear how the olive oil is! I LOVE infused oils.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to our local farmers market this morning, what a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been enjoying all the lovely peppers at market. Yours look beautiful! Thank you for sharing with me...I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

What's the buzz?