Friday, July 23, 2010

Day Zero


I’m not going to post a recipe this week and instead get a little personal. Four years ago I survived a near fatal car accident and in fact just last month I had another corrective surgery. My recovery was long and painful but I am proud to say I’m doing great. Last year the man I loved for 28 years left me for a co worker half his age with the excuse that I was just too scarred and damaged from the wreck for him. Short story is I had to forego a lawyer in order to continue to have health insurance I needed because of the accident. I lost everything including hope. This has been a difficult year.
Believe it or not, there is a good side to this story. I have the most amazing family. Without the love and support of my parents and siblings, I would not only be an emotional mess but also homeless. I have always known that my children are terrific, sensitive and caring people but this situation has brought out their attributes further. My kids have nursed me back to life this last year the same way they cared for me after the car accident. They didn’t have to push me around in a wheelchair this time but instead had to show me every day that I have a lot to live for. I love them more than I can put into words.
Why this confession? I have had a particularly hard time this month emotionally. My beautiful daughter asked me to participate in the Day Zero Project as a way to plan my life and realize I have many blessings. This project requires you to list 101 things you would like to do within three years. One of the things I listed was to share this idea and website with someone else, so I’m spreading the word to you. http://dayzeroproject.com/
Please forgive me for sharing my personal struggles but I wanted to reach out to those who may also need this project to help get things into perspective. Thank you so much for visiting my blog this week and I apologize for my detour from food. I will be back creating and sharing with food next week. 
Here is a sampling of my Day Zero Project list:      
  1. Identify 100 things that make me happy.
  2. Attend a midnight premiere of a movie.
  3. Influence a person to make a Day Zero list.
  4. Print 10 pictures a month.
  5. Find a personally inspirational quote and work it into a piece of art or home décor.
  6. Learn Spanish.
  7. Spend the day at the beach by myself.
  8. Make a custom recipe book.
  9. Create a new recipe at the farmers market.
  10. Pay off my credit cards.
  11. Start a new holiday tradition.
  12. Save $10 for every task I complete.
  13. Go bowling.
  14. Find the perfect pair of jeans.
  15. Do something special on an ordinary day.
  16. Have bread, cheese and wine for dinner.
  17. Give someone a gift they wanted as a child but didn’t receive.
  18. Volunteer.
  19. Post a note on bathroom mirror once a week, a blessing I have or inspirational quote.
  20. Pray for others.
  21. No fast food for a month.
  22. Count getting my hair done every two months in my budget.
  23. Go on a picnic.
  24. Improve my posture. 
  25. Make sure the people I love know it.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you certainly have gone though a lot. It's amazing that you family has pulled through for you like they have. And your list looks great. I hope you complete everything you want to and more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla from Ramblings of A Small Town Girl linked to this site.
    And i am gald she did! and i am very glad that you are using her idea, to move forward and show others that what ever you go through, you can move past it.
    I wish you all the best of luck and happiness to come!

    Frida
    www.10diamonds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is great! I hadn't heard of it before but now I am going to check it out.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. No fast food for a month?? That's a tough one but something I should SO attempt myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this project is great and I wish you the best of luck! I'm thinking of trying it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. many prayers go to u and ur family. good things will come to u. ill be checkin in on ya now and then to see ur recipes. ever need to chat, give me a shout, np. talk to ya soon ms. plan b. ronnie.....smokinronniesbbq@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

What's the buzz?