Thursday, May 20, 2010

Philli Fix

My son is a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan so I often make him football food to snack on and I have made many versions of a Phillie Cheese Steak.

Roasted garlic on toasted bread is a popular appetizer I make. I decided to try making an open faced Cheese Steak sandwich using a larger version of the garlic toast. This is an easy recipe to accomplish if you understand the time management. The flavors will satisfy a Cheese Steak appetite and is also pretty enough to entertain a gourmet crowd.

It’s full of flavor and I’m hoping it will be able to take the sting out of a Philadelphia loss for my boy.

The list:
Bread (your choice, I’m using a sliced sourdough loaf from the grocery store bakery)
2 heads of garlic (closed at the top and on the larger side)
Steak  8oz (I’m using a small petite sirloin but use your favorite cut)
1 med yellow sweet onion (any onion works but I like the sweet)
Cream cheese 4oz
Milk 4oz
Provolone cheese 6 to 8oz (either slices cut in small pieces or a block and shredded)
Butter
Olive oil
Salt /Pepper
Red pepper flakes
Sugar
Est. cost of open faced Phillie Cheese steak:   $14.95 to serve four sandwiches $3.45 each serving

*Cut the tops off of both heads of garlic exposing all cloves. 

Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool.
*While garlic is in oven, slice onion in half, peel skin, and slice as thin as possible. 

Heat three tablespoons of olive oil and two tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Once hot, add onions, teaspoon of salt, pepper and a tablespoon of sugar. Turn heat down on skillet to medium low. Caramelizing onions takes time. Don’t rush the process because if done correctly these onions are awesome. Cook over low heat for approximately 20 to 30 minutes until completely brown and broken down.
*Set garlic and onions aside.
*Combine milk, cream cheese and provolone cheese in sauce pot. Heat on medium heat until melted and combined. Add pepper to taste. Keep warm.
*Squeeze garlic heads into small bowl removing as much of the garlic as possible. With a fork, smash garlic into a paste.
*Season beef to your taste. I use salt, pepper and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
*Grill, pan sear, or broil your meat to desired temperature. I prefer medium. I’m using a cast iron grill pan oiled with olive oil, with high heat, grilling 4 minutes on each side.
*While resting meat on plate, toast bread in a 425 degree oven after drizzling with olive oil. Turn to toast both sides.
*Slice your beef thinly.

*Spread a thin layer of the garlic paste on a piece of toast and place on plate
*Layer beef across entire piece of bread
*Sprinkle with caramelized onions (more or less to your liking)
*Drizzle cheese sauce over entire sandwich (using a squeeze bottle makes you look like a rock star)
Use a knife and fork or grab with hands but enjoy!


You don’t have to be a Philadelphia fan to enjoy this twist on a Phillie Cheese Steak.

Tip for you party people:   using a baguette instead of a large piece of bread would create a great bite sized appetizer.

7 comments:

  1. YUM! That looks good & I love your idea of using the bottle to drizzle the cheese! A cousin made Emeril's Philly Cheese Steak & said her husband got up and gave her a hug after his first bite! I've been dying to try that recipe & this just made me think of that!http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/philly-cheese-steak-sandwich-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny, I have a Philly Cheese post today, mine's a burger though. Thanks for you for your kind thoughts for GG. She's doing better today!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drooling!!!! I definitely have to make this. YUM YUM!!! I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks absolutely divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is mouth-watering with that garlic paste and cheese sauce! Totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love roasted garlic. My philly lovin' children would love this. Perfect for weekend lunches.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

What's the buzz?